Classic Chicken Divan

Classic Chicken Divan

I've been making and serving Classic Chicken Divan for as long as I can remember. My family always asks for this dish when they think they've gone too long without it.

Though I've made other versions of this classic dish, I always come back to this one. That's partly due to the fact that the sauce is homemade - nothing out of a can here.
Give it a whirl! I'll just bet your family asks for it again.

Ingredients:
2 bunches fresh broccoli or 2 (10-oz.) pkgs. frozen broccoli
1/4 c. real butter
1/4 c. unbleached, all-purpose flour
2 c. homemade chicken bone stock (click here for recipe) or 1 (16-0z.) can organic chicken broth
1/2 c. heavy whipping cream (not whipped)
3 T. cooking sherry (make sure this is "cooking" sherry)
1/2 t. real sea salt or Redmond's Real Salt
dash freshly ground black pepper
1/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cooked and meat sliced thin) or 1 whole chicken cooked, boned and meat sliced thin

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook broccoli in boiling water; drain (cook just until crispy tender).
3. In a medium-sized saucepan, melt butter; blend in four.
4. Add chicken stock; cook and stir until thickened.
5. Stir in cream, sherry, salt and pepper.
6. Place broccoli crosswise in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Pour half the sauce over.
7. Top with chicken slices.
8. To the remaining sauce, add Parmesan cheese; pour over chicken; sprinkle with extra cheese.
9. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly. Place under broiler until sauce is golden.
Makes 6-8 servings.

Comments

Popular Posts

  • This soup is so delicious! But it becomes so much better when eaten with people that you've invited into your home to...
  • This has been a family favorite for many years. In fact, when my youngest daughter attended high school, I canned about 30-quart jars of L...
  • Polenta and Avocado Frittata Our chickens (Aunt Bea, Clara Edwards, Hilda Mae, Juanita, Miss Crump , Thelma Lou, Elly and Mrs. Mendelbr...

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Sharon Kaufman
Jesus Christ has been my Savior for 47 years. Robert, the wonderful man that God provided to love me has been my husband for 45 of those years. We have five grown children, with children of their own. Of course, that means that we have grandchildren - 10 to be exact, and five great-granddaughters with another great-grandbaby on the way. I have been a stay-at-home mom, sometimes helping to supplement the income from within the home. Now I am a stay-at-home grandmother. Jesus Christ has been my guide and keeper and I have found, in all the trials, heartbreaks and good times that He just keeps getting sweeter and sweeter as the years roll by. My future is secure and I look forward to eternity in the presence of my Creator, Redeemer and King.
View my complete profile