Shepherd's Pie

Shepherd's Pie



My daughter tells me that in order for Shepherd's Pie to be authentic, it must be made with lamb. So, I guess this isn't traditional Shepherd's Pie. Nevertheless, it's really good and so comforting to eat.

This is a Martha Stewart recipe that I tweaked drastically. Here goes:

Ingredients:

For the TOPPING

2 pounds russet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch chunks
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon real sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

For the FILLING
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 celery stalks (with leaves), finely chopped
3 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 1/2 pounds organic, grass-fed ground beef
1 teaspoon real sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 cups chicken or beef stock
3 tablespoons arrowroot powder or 1 teaspoon glucomannan
1 1/2 cup frozen peas

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. For the topping, place potatoes in a heavy medium-sized saucepan with water to cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook about 20 minutes until potatoes are tender.
3. Drain liquid. Mash potatoes, using a potato masher or electric mixer.
4. Add sour cream, salt and pepper and mix well into potatoes.
5. For the filling, heat oil in a large cast iron skillet till the oil shimmers (never let oil begin to smoke).
6. Add onion, celery, carrots and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally until tender (about 10 minutes).
7. Add ground beef and brown, breaking into small bite size pieces. Stir in seasonings and stock. Stir well to combine.
8. Sprinkle arrowroot powder or glucomannan over beef mixture and whisk in to thoroughly combine. Simmer for a few minutes. Stir in peas.
9. Transfer to a 2-quart baking dish and top with potatoes.
10. Bake until filling is bubbly and top is golden brown (about 30-40 minutes).

This savory pie is nice served with a mixed green salad. 8 servings

Comments

Popular Posts

  • This soup is so delicious! But it becomes so much better when eaten with people that you've invited into your home to...
  • This has been a family favorite for many years. In fact, when my youngest daughter attended high school, I canned about 30-quart jars of L...
  • Polenta and Avocado Frittata Our chickens (Aunt Bea, Clara Edwards, Hilda Mae, Juanita, Miss Crump , Thelma Lou, Elly and Mrs. Mendelbr...

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Sharon Kaufman
Jesus Christ has been my Savior for 47 years. Robert, the wonderful man that God provided to love me has been my husband for 45 of those years. We have five grown children, with children of their own. Of course, that means that we have grandchildren - 10 to be exact, and five great-granddaughters with another great-grandbaby on the way. I have been a stay-at-home mom, sometimes helping to supplement the income from within the home. Now I am a stay-at-home grandmother. Jesus Christ has been my guide and keeper and I have found, in all the trials, heartbreaks and good times that He just keeps getting sweeter and sweeter as the years roll by. My future is secure and I look forward to eternity in the presence of my Creator, Redeemer and King.
View my complete profile