Food Quotes


"No therapy or drug known to modern medical science can rebuild tissue that has been damaged by disease or trauma. Food alone can accomplish this feat. It is for this reason that nutrition is an indispensable weapon against disease".
Dr. Bernard Jensen (1908-2001)




Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Flavors of Thai Meatloaf

This meatloaf is sooo good that I may never go back to the recipe I have characteristically made for all of my married days. I got a meatball recipe off of the internet and did some major tweaking, not only with the ingredients in the meatloaf, but also completely remaking the sauce and foregoing the meatballs for meatloaf. We loved the sauce so much, that I am considering keeping it on hand in place of ketchup. But just a warning...this recipe is mildly spicy. If you'd like to tone down the heat, use toasted sesame oil in the meatloaf and half the red curry paste in the sauce.

Meatloaf
1.5 pounds of ground beef
1 pound ground pork
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon hot chili oil (or toasted sesame oil if you want a less spicy meatloaf)
1/2 cup dried unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup bread crumbs (from whole grain sprouted bread)

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place all ingredients in a large bowl. Don your kitchen gloves and mix till all ingredients are thoroughly combined, being careful not to over mix as this makes for a tough meatloaf. Shape meat into a loaf and place in a loaf pan, molding meat to fit (or divide meat among 6-8 muffins recesses in a muffin tin or pan, rounding to look like a baked muffin.) If using a loaf pan, bake 1 1/2 - 2 hours; or if using a muffin pan, place pan on a larger baking sheet. Place in oven and fill the empty muffin recesses with hot water. Bake 45 - 60 minutes.

Thai Tomato Sauce
1 cup tomato ketchup (Trader Joe's organic does not contain so much sugar)
1 tablespoon diced ginger
1 tablespoon chopped shallots
1 large garlic clove, diced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon red miso (optional)
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons red curry paste (use half this much if you want a less spicy sauce)
1 tablespoon soy sauce

Directions: Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Place over medium heat, stirring constantly to prevent burning. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes. Spread over meatloaf after it comes from the oven. The sauce can be made ahead of time and refrigerated for up to several weeks.
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sharon,
    I'd love some ideas from you on my menu for next week! You see, I'm 9 weeks pregnant and really struggling with nausea. It's been over 2 weeks since I've cooked anything as most smells (garlic, meat, spices, anything frying)are repugnant to me. I'm sorry to say that my husband has resorted to eating out for dinner. 2 weeks ago, the only thing I could stomach was strawberries, bananas, whole milk, and very bland cold cereal. I've been trying to expand my diet but it hasn't really been going well.
    I know my diet is important but it's hard for me to think of what to eat through the haze of nausea! Maybe you could help me with ideas for bland, non-smelly, dishes for my husband, baby, and me!
    What Did They Do In The Olden Days?
    Anne

    ReplyDelete

Your ideas and input are valuable to me. I would love to hear from you!

© Franziska's Pantry

Permissions:
You are permitted and encouraged to reproduce and distribute this material in any format provided that you do not alter the wording in any way and do not charge a fee beyond the cost of reproduction. For web posting, a link to this document on our website is preferred. Any exceptions to the above must be approved by Franziska's Pantry (Please use email link on sidebar to request permission).


Please include the following statement on any distributed copy written by Sharon Kaufman: By Sharon Kaufman. © Franziska's Pantry. Website: franziskaspantry.blogspot.com

Featured Posts

Loading...

Gadget by The Blog Doctor.

Bible Search

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page

Recent Comments

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP