Soft and Savory Brown Rice

Soft and Savory Brown Rice



Ingredients: 
2 c. long-grain Jasmine brown rice or other long-grain brown rice
2 T. real butter
2 T. extra-virgin, expeller-pressed olive oil
3 cardamom pods, opened and seeds removed (throw out pods away; use only seeds)
4 c. homemade chicken bone stock (click here for recipe) or 1 (32-oz.) can organic chicken stock
1 T. gelatin, such as Knox (optional)
1/2 t. real salt
Directions: 
1. In a heavy large skillet (with tight-fitting lid), melt butter; add olive oil. 

2. Add cardamom seeds to the pan. 

3. Add rice and saute, stirring constantly until rice begins to turn a milky color. 

4. Pour in stock or broth, add salt and optional gelatin and bring to a boil. 

5. Boil, uncovered, for about 10 minutes until water has reduce to the level of the rice. 

6. Reduce heat to lowest setting, cover and cook for 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. The longer it cooks, the better it is. You may have to add a little more stock/water after 45 minutes. Replace the lid.

7. Do not remove lid during the first 45 minutes. 

Serves 6 to 8.

Comments

  1. This recipe is so interesting! I've never used a cardamom seed - how much dry, ground cardamom would you suggest? And added gelatin?? How does that affect the rice dish?

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

  • This soup is so delicious! But it becomes so much better when eaten with people that you've invited into your home to...
  • This has been a family favorite for many years. In fact, when my youngest daughter attended high school, I canned about 30-quart jars of L...
  • Polenta and Avocado Frittata Our chickens (Aunt Bea, Clara Edwards, Hilda Mae, Juanita, Miss Crump , Thelma Lou, Elly and Mrs. Mendelbr...

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Sharon Kaufman
Jesus Christ has been my Savior for 47 years. Robert, the wonderful man that God provided to love me has been my husband for 45 of those years. We have five grown children, with children of their own. Of course, that means that we have grandchildren - 10 to be exact, and five great-granddaughters with another great-grandbaby on the way. I have been a stay-at-home mom, sometimes helping to supplement the income from within the home. Now I am a stay-at-home grandmother. Jesus Christ has been my guide and keeper and I have found, in all the trials, heartbreaks and good times that He just keeps getting sweeter and sweeter as the years roll by. My future is secure and I look forward to eternity in the presence of my Creator, Redeemer and King.
View my complete profile